mb-reset - config restore/update helper script

Originally published at: mb-reset - config restore/update helper script - Mabox Linux notes

Mabox provides a simple helper script that can be helpful in some uncomfortable situations.

mb-reset may be useful when:

– you made a fatal mistake editing an important configuration file (rc.xml, autostart) and your system is not working as it should

– you are using the Mabox version installed long ago and you want to get newer versions of configuration files (for menu/panels, Conky, tint2 etc.)

mb-reset is a very simple script and all it does is copy the default files to the right place in your home directory.

Run the script from the user account (not root!). To see all options just type in the terminal:

mb-reset 
mb-reset - reset/update user config files to current defaults. It only affects files shipped with Mabox.
           Be aware that you may loose your own customizations (if any).

Usage: mb-reset option

Options:
tint2 - overwrite tint2 panel config files in ~/.config/tint2/
jgthemes - overwrite menu/sidepanels color schemes in ~/.config/mabox/jgobthemes/
mainmenu - overwrite main menu files (favorites.csv)
leftpanel - left panel custom commands
rightpanel - right panel custom commands
logout - logout dialog
obrcxml - rc.xml default OpenBox configuration file
obautostart - default autostart file
conky - overwrite conky config files in ~/.config/conky/

7 Likes

Just to be sure.

I want to reset my configuration and start clean, but first I will do a backup of my customizations, such as my obkeys (i.e. rc.xml), etc. which I modified to adapt to my workflow.

1. The main folders in ~/.config to backup are jgmenu, conky, openbox, am I right?

2. Where are the customized themes that I created?

How did you create and saved your themes?

If you use Theme Manager for that then all you files go to ~/.config/blob

Yes, also you could backup mabox from ~/.config

1 Like

Yes, I used the BunsenLabs Theme Manager provided in Mabox.

Glad that I asked.
~/.config/blob is the last folder that I would think of for themes! I thought it was kind of a cache :smile:

Thank you, @napcok !