Mabox video reviews

A nice review from eBuzz Central.

I’m really surprised how many users Mabox has, see the comments below the video :wink:
And why are they not active on the forum?

10 Likes

Hm … :thinking: nice question, I saw the video when was out.
Yesterday I tried several distros since I had free time
-Archlabs
-Endeavor OS Openbox
But honestly Mabox is superior … more complete, etc. to them and is using less ram than endeavor, I tried them on bare metal.
-Archlabs very incomplete by my means.
-I really found grate endeavor OS pacman cache cleaning tool ,you can program cleaning auto timing this can be great also on ours ?

Other than that I found Endeavor OS with more crispy clean screen, I don’t know why.
And they don’t have live cd…
Yes I know why Mabox is the best Openbox Distro. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

He actually didn’t clickbait in the video about Mabox being his new daily drive.
In the new video he is using live CD of mabox

Hope to see more videos about Mabox from eBuzz, really nice man.

3 Likes

A busy forum usually means that users are experiencing some problems and need help. The mabox forum has mostly compliments and any problems are sorted out really quickly. :+1:

8 Likes

I want to share another review 2022 from a Spanish youtuber site “Manos y Maquinas entre Videos” ( his second review since 2021) and he’s promoting Mabox emphasizing the use of it in an older laptop system (with poor processor Intel 2nd generation and lower RAM of 2GB) and how Mabox works out fine and can run very updated software with few difficulties. As you see our community keeps growing.

4 Likes

My video in Danish

5 Likes

Here is another video that counts something about Conky menus etc.

6 Likes

No commentary video showcase of basic Mabox features with dubstep

4 Likes

Quick look at Mabox 23.08

3 Likes

Nice review of Mabox with a lot of information - in Polish :slight_smile:

1 Like

No English subs unfortunately…
And although I like the sound of the language, I understand nothing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not much info for you. This hasn’t been done by AI yet, or for some extent. Quality may be at 80%.

This is the Polish speech in broken English
Hi, welcome to another video on this channel. In today's video I will talk about a very interesting Polish Linux distribution Box Linux. It is a rolling release distribution based on Manjaro, using not a graphical environment, but a very light and very configurable open Box window manager. There are very customisable panels, Timing, Manager, Conky, a lot of tools to help configure the whole system. There are a lot of themes, wallpapers, gradients, but of course you can also create your own.
So this is what the Linux box looks like after launch. Here. My wallpaper is a bit blurry, because I have two monitors connected to my computer. Open box I don't think I've got it quite right. Anyway Welcome Box here is typically such a welcome menu Update system. You can check if there are any updates. Well there is some PyRadio update then I will do that later. Now maybe not. Here an additional kernel can be selected. You do not have to use what is installed here. You can choose a different one. You know mainly LTS, but also. Older LTS. The usual kernel. System kernel. Here I have chosen. 6 6 8 kernel and on my x 200 system I still have the 5.4 kernel installed. Well, they have already stopped providing images with just the 5.4 kernel. Now there is only 6.1 or 6.6. But of course you can install it without any problem. Popular programmes can be clicked on here. You can install whatever you need there, or simply check it out. If you don't know what a programme is for or what programmes there are.
For example, I want to see what PDF viewers are out there, so I can choose what I want to try. I think it's very useful, mainly for people who don't know much about Linux programs. They can see what kind of browsers there are here, for example, or such applications for emails. Here are the web resources, here will probably open a browser. Exactly. The browser opens. It's right here. User guide. I think this is mainly useful for people who want to use the system for a little longer, who want to get to know the software, the system. Here you can simply click on many things and look
them up if you do not know something. Here, of course, the home page has a Linux box like this.
There is of course a forum, you can look here for help if something does not work. The forum I see.
It is rather in English, but you can probably write in Polish too. You could also use the Manjaro forum, because it's basically Manjaro, that distribution, only heavily modified. You could probably describe it in the Arch forum too. Then of course there's the Support Development project. And such links to YouTube, Facebook. I'm probably not going to fire that up here. We've now moved on to what's here. What I basically have here on my desktop. Well this is called Conky. As you can see here it displays some very useful information, for example this CPU usage. Here. It shows that the CPU consumption is currently 8%. Here is today's date. Here is the disk ram usage and all this information is at hand here. You don't need to look for this anywhere. System. It
takes up a little less space at startup. I also have BS, Audacity and VLC installed here. Well it takes up a little more space, but about 7 GB in this system on the disk will take up at the start. So I don't think it is somehow a lot, a lot. Likewise this system doesn't eat up a whole GB of RAM but rather closer to 300 MB. This is very useful because there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts in this system and we have them all listed here. Now, for example. I'll take something, fire up maybe the file manager. Terminal. I'd like, for example, to split the Windows left and Windows right keys. So half and half to give myself, or if I want to maybe you can also do that without any problem. Of course, you can also use a key combination. If you have a num pad on your keyboard, you can 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. There you go. So. That also works in a very interesting way. And of course you can fire up different things like Windows, where you fire up a calculator or. Windows RT, where you fire up the internet radio. So that's going to have to be muted, because I don't know if that. It's not proprietary
music. Moving on we have the control centre here. It has a box and we have here. Users. You can hammock yourself.
Graphically install some packages that we will. More or less necessary. There is not much here, but it is divided into groups. And it gets a bit more, if you look at it. Or repositories and you can search through the repositories. It's a nice thing, if someone doesn't want to rummage around in a terminal or. If you are not afraid of the terminal, you can go here and search for everything. You can also click here and it simply does the job itself. The update is ready, you can click Apply and update. Or you can do the same. It's the implementation of a goal and two. I also enter my password and it is
done. Here is one package to install. It's just melting the radio, but that I'll do an update to later.
There is nothing to do. The kernels are I have already shown this. Here you can change the system kernel to something else. The oldest is 4 19. Well older ones should support older hardware better. I here have fairly new hardware Ryzen 5 1600 GTX 1070 this. Rather. Better is newer. Here it is. You can set yourself monitors such a simple program, and here. A slightly less simple program, where you can also change the resolution for yourself for some reason. When I fired up the system in live
mode. There was only one resolution to choose from. I think it was 1024x768. I do not know why for some reason I only had this resolution to choose from and it was not possible to change it, but when I installed the system there was no problem. Everything already installed without problems with the correct resolution.
Only the wallpaper is smashed. Because here the screen resolution is detected as one such very wide screen. Here is the panel configurator and you can go to this panel at the top. This is the Tint panel. You can add yourself some program for example Tadam Audacity is added. I will add Calculator. Well, and everything is added to this bar here without any problem. You don't have to edit any configuration files or anything. Here we have the possibility to configure this panel and you can change its position. Top left, top right. It's more like this. Actually, it's more in the middle than on the right, but. Bottom. You can also kind of like in Windows. But also vertically. For example, you can change the position, the same way you can change the size of this panel to be bigger or smaller. I think it was 80%. You can increase the width of this panel. And options such as margins, spacing. Icon theme. Here is the resource monitor. And he's on the other monitor. The resource monitor. Which shows CPU usage, memory usage. That sort of thing. But you can also choose yourself some Tint 2 panel, for example. You can choose. For example, you can choose one
of these. Or you can choose one of these, for example. You can choose. There are several different options. You can choose. You can choose what you really want. Oh, and here's one. Downstairs. Okay, that's fine. Whatever. And I'm gone. Start. Select Tint 2. Apply. Close. Anyway, here we continue with the configuration of the side panels.
This is the left-hand side panel where we have quick and easy access to all our files. We can browse our home directory here. The main catalogue is the command palette and this is basically the same as what is listed here. You can view all the commands and there are various shortcuts to the configuration files, as I would like to remind you that this is an open box and many things are done here with the configuration files. However, this is also simplified here, as there are appropriate programs for this purpose. There is also an option in the left panel, such as menu settings and
you can choose fonts, titles, heights of elements, colour themes. Whatever you like. You can also select a random theme and then, for example, the menu will have a different colour. It is different now. You can change the wallpaper to something random. However, in my case it will be a little bit distracting. But here are all the wallpapers and there are a lot of them. Really a lot of wallpapers.
Maybe I'll set myself some wallpaper and maybe it won't be jumbled. Right? I set up a wallpaper and it's coming apart for me. It's rolling it out. I'd have to check where it changes. Autostart is autostart programs. Appearance. Appearance preferences are obviously something you can choose for yourself here. How you want the windows to look. In several different ways. The same applies to the theme. There are several icons to choose from here. The cigarette is cool. And you can. You can make yourself an MA box from Windows 95 no problem.
Openbox Configuration Manager. Here, too, there are some options to choose the appearance. You can even choose how many desktops you want to have. Eight. You can have them or even more themes. Theme manager and you can choose. There are several pre-defined themes. For example, a theme like this. Or, for example. Cyberpunk is a typical cyberpunk theme. I don't like it. It's a bit too bright. But, for example, nordic. That's more like it. It's cool, but. It's still nothing, because I haven't shown the best thing yet. The so-called ma box colour either and here you can do such things. Set a random theme for the open box window decoration. You can choose how many options there are to choose from here. Likewise for the side panels you can have a completely different theme than for these bars here. For Conky. These jumps, you can change them to something else.
Like zero problem. Everything above the same. Now I'd like to reset this is Obviously I can do everything. And now we come over here and this is where even more fun happens. Because you can increase the thickness of the window borders for yourself. You can remove them completely. You can also remove the border completely. You can increase the spacing of that lettering on the bar so that it's this big, or so that it's not there at all, or so that it's this big. Increase, decrease. Raised style, flat, concave. So here you can buttons, type, type of buttons so and so, and so and so. You can
change the font on the bar. E.g. here is Ubuntu Bold.
I'd like, for example, Ubuntu Mono Italics and I can change all that. Or I would like, for example. I don't know, a wide one like this. I can make it as big as I want. There's no problem with that. I'll find some book that's interesting, maybe. And, for example, Terminus bold and tabbed Why not?
You can reduce the thickness of that font for yourself. You can give it in italics, but that needs to be found by another. Move it all around, add a shadow or remove the shadow. The gradient type on the bar might not be a gradient at all. It can be such and such, such and such and such. There can be such and such. The colour of this bar. You can choose the colours of this bar. And it all adapts nicely to the whole system. The same with the side panels. This is a very interesting option. You can
customise everything to match the wallpaper, so everything looks like it matches the wallpaper. And now the side panel is in a colour scheme that matches this wallpaper What's set up here? It's just that it's a bit disjointed. Well now, for example, I've restored the default theme as it was and I can choose a wallpaper. Let's take just any wallpaper. This wallpaper, for example. Why not? And now I can do it without any problems. Two clicks to adjust. Everything. Here, for example, an open box
theme? There you go. This title bar here now matches the wallpaper in colour for me. Side panels?
There you go. Now the side panels match the Conky wallpaper in colour. Why not? It'll take a while, but without any. Too many times I say without any problem.
There you go, also here is the Tint 2 panel. Here, unfortunately, this panel is not yet configurable, but hopefully in the future it will be. Here, of course, is the same as I showed before, which is, for example, the window decoration. I can just as well choose bright window decorations if I prefer a bright theme. And now everything here has matched the wallpaper very nicely in colour. I didn't have to search for anything, I simply clicked match to wallpaper and everything selected itself. In the same way you can colour this internet radio and such a cool sound visualisation programme as coffee. I'll fire it up here pi Radio. Well now it's too colourful to match the whole thing. I don't know what's firing up here. It doesn't matter. The important thing is that I can now colour it in. And somehow the Coffee app itself fits in better with this system. I think it's the only one that needs headphones connected anyway. Anyway, now here is the sound visualisation. In the terminal. And I can also adjust use the coffee module to change. Generate gradients from the wallpaper colours.
And here you can also change the colours of this whole Coffee module. Light to dark. And as you can see. It behaves very nicely here. If I were to choose a different wallpaper. What would I do at this point? Let's say it's like this. I don't know it, for example. Well, it's going to go off, unfortunately. Now I can do myself again. Light to dark. Here I can change myself. Right? And I can change everything here.
Dark.
Nooo, that was light. Clear. And clear. Well, it's kind of blending together here now. Right here. It would be better. Choose a dark one, I think. A dark colour scheme. I'm just giving you an example. Can something like this be done in Windows? Well I suspect not. So there you have it. But that's not the end of it, because here there are still terminal colours and you can choose 442 themes for your terminal. Well,
how much is that? I remember the first time I looked it took me probably 5 minutes to swear through it all. Unless the options are repetitive, but there's just a lot of it. Very, very, very, very, very, very many of these themes. Terminals. And you can choose what kind of clone you want in Ubuntu some such as server. You can hardly see anything here. Windows NT of some kind? Well, you can see. Do you see what the themes are here? I just click around a bit here. For example, there is even an orange one. Save and restore. And of course you can restore a theme in the theme manager if you mess up. So here there is no fear of messing something up in the system theme and the radio has not restored itself. There is no fear of messing something up in the system theme and not restoring it again. We won't know how to change it back. That's what I'm going to close. Also Colour Fixer is a really great tool that allows you to do so many things. It allows you to modify the look of the system so much that it's just unimaginable. It's really a lot of choices. You can change yourself.
Everything can be customised and that's what's really nice about this system, that you can customise it to look the way you want it to. To make it look like everything. I think I tried to show as much as possible in this film, but you also know that this film would probably have to be an hour long if I had to show everything. There are really very, very many options here to change the look of the whole system. You can customise the look completely according to how you want the system to look. Let's hope for more distributions like this, where you can change everything to suit you, and let Microsoft and Apple go up a tree.
Yes, you can't really change anything in Windows 11, for example. That stupid bar with the start button. They put it in the middle. You have to fiddle around a bit to move it to the left side at all, and as far as I know, it can't even be moved to the top anymore. For example, I would like to have the bar at the top, I can't do that. Why not? Because someone there at Microsoft has determined that it doesn't. The bar has to be at the bottom and we will remove the option to move it elsewhere. You have to dig around in the registry to move the Stupid bar with the start button to somewhere other than the bottom. This is absurd to me, and that's why I'm glad that this is not the route taken in Linux. It's just that it's my system, I choose how to use it, not some wise guy in Redmond or Cupertino is going to sit down and. He will say no. You're supposed to use your computer the way I've figured it out, not the way you want to use it.
What do I care if you are inconvenienced to use it the way I designed it and not otherwise. And it's a very good thing that Linux is not going down that road. A really good job has been done here. I really have to commend, because it certainly took a very long time to create something like this. A very cool distribution, really very cool. I like it a lot. I like how many possibilities there are here to configure the whole system, the whole look of the system to suit yourself. I really don't have any problems with this system. Well, the only thing I could complain about, but it would be really like Szczepanski, is that the wallpaper here, I think that this is even a better choice, this system for such older computers than, for example, Lubuntu, because Lubuntu is. With the Snapa ones it's probably even heavier. Here there are slightly newer packages than in Lubuntu. Plus the possibility of configuring the whole system, this system is lighter. And above all, it is a Polish distribution. It is known that there are rather few Polish Linux distributions. I know only from the pair Linux and PLD. I recommend that you also check this system yourself, because it is known that of course I have not shown everything. But in general. I recommend this distribution. And here I will still show at the end. I also recently played around a bit on my iPad x 200 just on this box and managed to create something like this. And that's basically it for this video. Let me know if you enjoyed it. See you in the next video. Hi!
1 Like