LiveUSB boots to scrambled Welcome screen

Old laptop (Compaq nx9420) that had MB Linux on it before and tried another distro and am coming back to MB. I’ve tried booting LiveUSB (multiple usb drives) with 22.11 kernel 5.10 and 5.14 versions and no matter what, it gets to the graphical welcome screen all slanted and completely unreadable. I tried SUPER-P as I read somewhere to turn off the compositor but maybe that wasn’t a Mabox post…don’t recall. The laptop has a somewhat unusual screen resolution of 1680x1050.
The laptop had Herbolth on it before but I cannot locate the 21.11 version that it must’ve had. Would prefer the more recent versions if I can get the screen working…

1 Like

Hello @chrisl ,
Could you try with latest ISO from Sourceforge, which is from September 22.09 → Mabox Linux - Browse /22.09 at SourceForge.net

There are two versions: with 5.4 kernel and with 5.15 kernel
I would suggest 5.4 to try.

What graphic card you have in this laptop?

1 Like

I believe the graphics are ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. I have tried both of those downloads but It only takes a moment to fetch and burn September 22.09 that you suggest. Will report results shortly.

Maybe a bit longer SourceForge… :wink:

1 Like

Sadly, same result. I assume you don’t need to see a picture of the scrambled screen…

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, I have no idea why this happens.
Did you try to boot with both: open-source and proprietary drivers?

1 Like

I did. In another link about something similar I read to set nomodeset within Grub but the grub line on Mabox is very different so I didn’t try that.

I’ll keep fiddling with it - I don’t want to waste your time - just thought it might be something someone had already run into. Just a bummer because I had Mabox on it before I tried some other distros on it. I didn’t realize how good I had it when it was running on it. :wink:

Any chance there is a 21.11 version somewhere I could try? That had to be the version I had on there before.

1 Like

There is no 21.11 on sourceforge, mayby try 21.12…

1 Like

Just FYI, 21.12 did the same thing so I tried mabox-linux-21.06-Geralt-210608-linux510 and IT WORKED! Installing now and will see how it goes.

2 Likes