Installing xrpd for rdp access to MaBox Linux

Hello

Not sure if this topic has been aired yet ( I could not see it when searched at least ).

Is there a guide for installing xrdp the right way in Mabox so it can be accessed over rdp (as in Ubuntu) - or should we follow same guidelines as for Arch?
( Xrdp - ArchWiki ).

Br Memory

Hi @memory - and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’ve never used RDP, but I believe it should work as described in the Arch Wiki.

However, if you are not attached to Microsoft solutions, it may be a good idea to try RustDesk

It is available from the Mabox repo.
Installation:

yay -S rustdesk-bin
1 Like

What a coincidence.

I need exactly this for a very specific scenario several days ago (must be from Windows and RDP only) and so far no luck. Installed the packages and stuff, RDP ask for Mabox user/pass but then you get the blue screen, some bogus error message and that’s it, no luck from that point on.

If someone knows a working solution it would be great.

Hello @napcok and thanks and thanks for your fast and informative response :slight_smile:

I tried to test just that - first from this site: https://www.adamlabay.net/2022/04/15/xrdp-on-manjaro-the-easy-way-when-it-works/ but ran in to problems as there probably are some minor things to be avare of and fix (no ~/.xinitrc file f.ex.).

I will now test the other site describing the “hard way” to do things :slight_smile:

As first rule I will awoid anything Windows - but this had to be an exception :slight_smile:

Thanks again

1 Like

Dang! Success…;

@napcok and @M0nst3r

Short answer to the problem - in ~/.xinitrc: - in description - we are asked to set SESSION=${1:-xfce4-session}
Link: (the hard way):

here - since MaBox Linux is using openboxx as DE - I changed it to SESSION=${1:-openbox-session}

Voila: I have a nice setup where I even use BOTH my external screens :smiley:

Br Memory

2 Likes

Thank you, I was reading the same page but got stuck because there is no ~/.xinitrc file and the other one is in a very different path (and I don’t want to break my beloved Mabox).

So, you copy/pasted the example then? :thinking:

Yes

Essentially there was only making an empty .~/.xinitrc file and fill it with the content of the bash file given in the example from the author, and then to change the expression fro xfce4 to openbox.

2 Likes

Confirmed and working. :partying_face:

@memory’s suggestion fixed the blue screen after login in my case too.

1 Like

I wonder if Mabox should provide this file by default.
What do you think @memory @M0nst3r?

Well, RDP access is very specific.
If there is no risk of breaking or confusing the users then it would be nice to have the official file. :thinking:

1 Like

I checked a little more closely and it seems that no one will hurt, and maybe take away the headache of some of us :wink:
So I added ~/.xinitrc to ISO profile for future releases.

1 Like