How is mabox different from manjaro ob?

I am currently a manjaro openbox user. Would there be an advantage for me to use mabox instead?

Why was mabox created?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

No idea, but you could try Mabox - for example in Virtualbox - and judge for yourself :slight_smile:
Manjaro Openbox Community Edition is a very solid release - at least that was the last time I tried it.

When Mabox was created, there was no Manjaro edition with Openbox.
The first edition of Mabox was just an Openbox configured the way I like and use on a daily basis.

Which one is better?

Objectively, it’s hard to say, it certainly depends on personal preferences.

I personally think both are good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Understood.

Thanks for the response.

1 Like

I have been trying out Manjaro Openbox also. Although it would be basically the same as Mabox, my feel about Mabox is that it’s a bit more snappy. Not that it can be measured I think, it’s more a feeling.
The experience out of the box with Mabox does more for me than the experience I get in the Manjaro community version. It’s indeed a matter of taste…

1 Like

The differences are big when we look at the default components installed.

Mabox:

• default shell: bash
  • terminal: terminator
  • file manager: PCManFM
  • menu: jgmenu based mainmenu and sidepanels
  • panel: tint2

Manjaro OB Community:
(if I remember correctly - not 100% sure)

• default shell: zsh
  • terminal: termite
  • file manager: Thunar
  • menu: obmenu-generator (?)
  • panel: polybar and tint2
2 Likes

Hi Napcok,

I meant more the base beneath, that’s Arch, it’s the same. And the way menu’s are created, or what filemanager you use (I used Thunar for a while on your distro) I do not see earth-moving differences :thinking: :blush:
I’m however a Manjaro fan (also openSuse leap to name a very different distro) for the completeness of it. I really love Mabox for the choosen look & feel and used tools.

I’m not rating them in terms of which one is better, same like you already described, choose the one that suits you the most

1 Like

I’m not rating them also, I just writed some differencies.

2 Likes

In the latest iso of Manjaro OB there is no networkmanager. I found no other iso, so Iinstalled the latest community build and had always to connect manually to my wifi (was not able to do it automatic / my laptop has no cable internet plug ).

Mabox linux iso has the networkmanager properly installed and for me looks neater.

Just my thouhgts (or did I do something wrong with Manjaro OB)

1 Like