Hibernate

I can suspend, but not hibernate.

What should I install?

TIA

1 Like

You should find all the relevant information here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management#Suspend_and_hibernate

3 Likes

Well to spice this topic a bit, maybe someone could help me also with a hibernation issue… :slight_smile:

Hibernation works fine. After resuming however, I can see that at the end my LVDS laptop screen is turned off. I know the OS is up and running due to the fact I can hear pyradio or mpv playing music.
I searched and searched the KB’s on the internet (and here :smile:) but none of the probable fixes work (mkinitcpio with new module part, files altered in /sys/power/ etc) without manual interference.

I made a solution myself by issuing xrandr commands in a script, which I attached to a hotkey. That works but for example CAVA is after that displayed in the middle of the screen, not ideal.

One solution I found out and later did see as a workaround on a forum was after hibernating, turning the laptop on, wait for boot and then close the lid to enter suspend. After opening the lid indeed the screen is back.

Now there is a lot of knowledge here and I’m hoping maybe someone has a clue? I’m thing towards a not correct initialized GPU (build in Radeon on AMD chip). I did see some errors in dmesg like:

[drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] ERROR atombios stuck executing E442 (len 2585, WS 4, PS 4) @ 0xEB2C

there are a few more of these.

I tried Arcolinux openbox community edition and that one comes back alive with no problem (but MBlnx is far more better :wink: )

Anyone?

Note: Just did see 51381 – [drm:atom_op_jump] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting, when disabled via vgaswitcheroo which seems to be still open?

1 Like

Although not really solved I have found a new and better way to workaround this problem without manual intervention.
For auto screen layouts when plugging in or unplugging external displays on my laptop I installed and configured autorandr [GitHub - phillipberndt/autorandr: Auto-detect the connected display hardware and load the appropriate X11 setup using xrandr]. As a pleasing side effect when my laptop resumes from hibernate (the battery is dead so suspend only works on ac power) this python scripts sets the desired display modes (and if somehow it can’t detect the desired config it will start a default one) and will power-on my screen.

2 Likes

A newcomer to Mabox here. Hibernation is not working out of the box when you do a fresh install (v22.08). When you click on the Menu or issue a systemctl hibernate it does nothing .I fixed it by following this steps:

1- The install creates a very small swap file (/swapfile) 512 MB aprox. in size which is not enough for current computers. So, you must increase the size to at least your current amount of RAM. You must have, obviously, enough free space in your root (/) filesystem beforehand:

sudo swapoff /swapfile
sudo rm /swapfile
sudo fallocate -l 8g /swapfile  # Assuming you have 8GB RAM; change accordingly
sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile

2- Install and execute the hibernator package:

sudo pacman -S hibernator
sudo hibernator

Finally, restart your computer. The hibernator take care of everything and you won’t have to fiddle with GRUB files and the like.

In my humble opinion this steps and the package could be included in the post installation stage of Mabox.

Regards.

1 Like