Hello everybody

New guy here. :slight_smile:
I just downloaded Manjaro xfce a few days ago, and been having problems to get Openbox, so somebody directed me to Mabox, and now I’m trying it. And loving it, so far.
A bit of background: started in Linux through Ubuntu in 2009, when I was about to thrash my computer because it was just useless on Windows XP.
Used Ubuntu until 2013. Then, a member in the Ubuntu Forum introduced me to Crunchbang. THEN is when I ended up falling in love with both Crunchbang and Openbox.
Then,Corenominal decided to stop developing Crunchbang, so after a very brief stint with BunsenLabs, I switched to Fedora, always with Openbox.
Now, after having a very hard time trying to install and make Fedora 34 and 35 work, I ended up here. And I’m pretty much seeing Crunchbang again, and I’m really loving what I’m seeing!
To make it clear, I’m not an expert. Just a regular user who expects the OS to get out of the way while he’s working.
So that’s about it. Hope to be able to learn and help as much as I can. Thank you all very much for having me! :smiley:

7 Likes

Buddie, hi ,
you’re not alone in this mabox boat…me too a newbie
Wish you have good surf on this …

Cheers!
newmant1

2 Likes

Thank you! Hope you also have a great time!
I had a great experience with #! before, and to be honest, I thought I’d never be that comfortable with an OS again. It’s an enormous pleasure to find I’m not the only freak that fell in love with the simplicity… :laughing:

2 Likes

Me Prefer Simplicity because I m lazy ! haha
I have no luck with mabox ,bootup black screen and only mouse cursor, nothing else. tty s is ok.

Hoping to get mabox up , so would be good for me to compare with my other favourable distro Antix-21 which has some other hiccups, awaitng for advice to advance further mile.

Anyway, keen in awaiting …:slight_smile:

Oh, sorry.
A few years ago I tried Manjaro, or we should say I Intended to try Manjaro, as I could never get past the installation process. This time, both Manjaro and Mabox worked beautifully out of the box.
Keep trying, they’re definitely worth it! :+1:

1 Like

it didn’t work for me. So currently I m in the midst of trying some other distro. Will come back sometime later once others post their successful installed with the new updated iso.

Thanks for informing.

Newmant1

Hi! I’m asking to myself how many people got here just because the lovely old crunchbang# linux distribution.

2 Likes

Hi @Lord-Chencho, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
I think a few regular forum users remember Crunchbang well.
And reading Mabox reviews on Distrowatch, you can see that there are more such users.

For me, Crunchbang was an inspiration to get to know Openbox very thoroughly.
In the old days, next to my favorite KDE (version 3.5 was in my opinion the best desktop environment for Linux ever created) I usually installed some box (Openbox, Fluxbox formerly BlackBox). These boxes have always fascinated me, but I wasn’t quite able to configure them to meet my needs in 100%. Crunchbang made me realize that it is possible and motivated me to study the documentation carefully :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s why I laugh on loud when I read about “linux fragmentation is a problem” I love KDE and Kubuntu, is my regular distribution, but I find Mabox very powerful and easy to use once you get used to it. Both systems solve a problem in different way and that’s cool.

4 Likes