Conky customizations lost

Hola @muzqs
Keeping the original files is not essential for me, if I had to reinstall Mabox bring the original files.
What I should keep are the files with my configurations so that I don’t have to redo them as I do now. Those files are the ones I should keep as backup.

Timeshift, if I understood correctly, creates a “snapshot” each time, that is, today I would create one with today’s configuration, if in a certain time I need to use it, I would go back to this moment, if I understood correctly. I suppose that each time you create a snapshot you delete or overwrite the previous one.

I do not generate many personal files, usually price lists in Calc due to inflation, as I need to have them at hand I upload them to Telegram, that’s already a backup, I also keep the original on the HD and another on a pendrive, due to inflation I must renew them constantly so I overwrite them and no more files are generated. Then there are personal photos, music and videos that I keep in the cloud and on an external hard drive, I usually have a copy on the HD to listen to music when I use the PC or if I want to retouch a photo or watch a video on a big screen instead of the cell phone. I don’t use email clients, I got used to use web services. I use Linux to study and keep my mind active in something outside of work, it’s like an exercise to keep my mind active, to get out of the routine, so I play with the configuration, I often try it even without knowing what will happen to see if it works and then I try to find out where I made mistakes, I correct, I try again, I ask questions and I try to bring linux to people with limited economic resources, I think it would be very useful for them, that’s why I use and rescue old machines, it’s the way I found to show young people without resources that they don’t need to have a last generation PC. I learned to use Linux by creating a dictionary of almost 300 pages without knowing how to use Linux, that led me to learn to use LibreOffice, Gimp and inkscape, it’s a dictionary for fishermen. That’s all backed up.

Maybe Lucky Backup or similar is the right thing to do, everything you tell me leaves me wondering.

The mistake I made put me on my guard, it will not happen again, before making changes I will have backup, so I am looking for a way to perform “cleaning” of my Mabox with some kind of alias or script that minimizes my mistakes, for example, I do not know what to delete without affecting the system, I understood that I could delete the orphans without problem now I must be careful with the dependencies as many are shared. Some people use Bleachbit, I want to do it by console as part of my exercises, knowing what I can do I could create that script and keep my system up to date. For example, what to do after an upgrade or after installing programs, what to do with logs, temps, etc., what files are necessary, essential and which ones are not?
I will see about Saver. :+1:

2 Likes