Bug? jgmenu and wine

I´m not shure if this is a bug or the result of a technical concept.

When I install wine and wine-tricks. Both programms will appear correct in the application menu. When I then install a windows programm inside wine this programm is also be a part of the application menu. When I uninstall wine and wine tricks. Both programms were removed from the application menu. But the installed windows programms, which will not work anymore without wine are still in the application menu. Under Linux Mint all windows programms will also be removed form the application menu when wine is uninstalled.

My question is, is that really a bug or a result of the technical concept in Mabox?

Best regards Bernd

Take a look at ~/.local/share/applications directory.

It’s possible that the scripts you used (winetricks?) created .desktop files there - to create menu items.
Jgmenu implements the standard Desktop Menu Specification. Which in short means that the menu or its part presenting available applications - is built on the basis of .desktop files available in the system (also called desktop entries).

Desktop entries for applications, or .desktop files, are generally a combination of meta information resources and a shortcut of an application. These files usually reside in /usr/share/applications/ or /usr/local/share/applications/ for applications installed system-wide, or ~/.local/share/applications/ for user-specific applications. User entries take precedence over system entries.

Output of this command may be usefull also:

/usr/lib/jgmenu/jgmenu-apps |grep -i wine
1 Like

I don´t know which program this menu item created. I assume it was wine-tricks. But I personally cannot exactly find out if this is true. But anyway.
I found a wine-folder in ~.local/share/applications. After deleting this folder the menu entry is gone.

So, is that a bug or the result of the technical environment we use here in Mabox?

This is not Mabox issue.
You installed a windows app inside a so called wine bottle. Therefore the correct way to remove wine completely is to first remove the application(s) installed.
According to some docs I read one way to do this is to open a terminal and run wine uninstaller (without quotes). This will give you access to the built in Add/Remove tool from wine. From there you can uninstall a program you have installed in a bottle.
After that an uninstall of wine should remove wine itself.

Agreed, one could expect the removal of wine itself should also remove the installed windows apps but it seems it’s not working that way.

3 Likes