Beautification of the terminal

I like to improve my terminal experience. In Manjaro they also made some modifications enhance the user experience.

In the following I will show, what I have done with my terminal to improve my personal user experience. Maybe this will inspire the community to enhance Mabox with some additional features in the future.

As a shell I use zsh in combination with oh-my-zsh.

I enhanced .zshrc with a very useful plugins.

The result ist like this:

I also installed some nerd fonts. My favourite is currently Hack.

I enhance my prompt with powerlevel 10k

The result is

:

There are other alternatives available. But for me this is the most easy way to pimp my prompt.

I installed lsd.

This is a beautiful substitution of the original ls command in combination with the installed nerd fonts. I like it.

Maybe this inspires the community to modify the configuration of the Mabox Terminal.

Best regards Bernd…

1 Like

This has nothing to do with Technical Issues so I moved the thread to Userland → Terminals & CLI

1 Like

I use exa instead of ls. I’ll give lsd a shot. Looks interesting. In fact, terminal apps are so good nowadays.

I love nerd fonts, too!

I have used zsh and oh-my-bash. Yes, they are great, but with these changes, do you also lose the Mabox goodies, like mabox-terminal, mb-reset and others?

I see all Mabox is bash-based …

And yes, please post more of this. I like to see the way others adapt the distro to their tastes.

1 Like

Mabox scripts like quake-terminal(mabox-terminal), mb-reset and others work independently from the default shell set by the user.

As for the appearance of the shell, everyone has their preferences…

As a sysadmin who has spent half his life working in the console,
I :heart: Bash and classic prompt.

user@hostname working_dir $

Mabox_20230729-13-16-47

Simple, clean, informative… pure beauty :wink:

Other shells don’t give me anything of value, they actually get in the way.

I also don’t like distractions like icons, pictures in the terminal or fancy two-line prompts… they look nice in screenshots… but for work? no way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use zsh, Oh-My-zsh, lsd, duf etc but I like it clean with no info in prompt. Colors and fonts are more important to me.

Like updates versions are marked with colors

Screenshot_20230730_065553

Not much to see here except Half Life logo but this is how I like it :wink:

Screenshot_20230730_070548

People have different preferences so I agree with napcok to keep it basic.

Instead of adding all kinds of addons, plugins, scripts, etc to mabox shell make a thread in the forum with howto’s on how to change the appearance of the shell , where to find addons, plugings etc :slight_smile:

You already started this thread so feel free to continue to share :slight_smile: :+1:

A tip: zsh-syntax-highlighting and zsh-completions in addition to zsh-autosuggestions make zsh shell very “friendly” :+1:

Should be in extra/

2 Likes

To improve distraction in my terminal I added a script from DT in my terminal. I followed DT since a couple of time and find his work quit impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/@DistroTube

I know all the purist rolling theis eyes … but I like it :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

This my bash intro… i am font of taskadd for quick reminders.

Mabox_20230731-13-09-05

• taskadd ‘text’ = insert task.
  • taskrm = remove all tasks
  • taskcl = delete and create new file
  • taskrm 1 = remove 1e task
  • taskin 3 = insert task between 2 and 4

PUT it in .aliases or .bashrc (remove lolcat from commands or install lolcat)

#####
#Task List
#####
TASKFILE="$HOME/.bashtask" #Hidden for neatness
NC='\033[1;32m' # No Color
LIGHTRED='\e[1;31m'
LIGHTBLUE='\e[1;34m'
if [ -f "$TASKFILE" ] && [ $(stat -c %s "$TASKFILE") != 0 ] #Check if file has content
then
    echo -e "${LIGHTRED}  Task List${NC} as of ${LIGHTBLUE}$(date -r "$TASKFILE")${NC}"
    echo ""
    cat "$TASKFILE" 
    printf '%*s\n' "${COLUMNS:-$(tput cols)}" '' | tr ' ' "-"  | lolcat
else
    echo " hUh! No TASKS :P" | lolcat 
    printf '%*s\n' "${COLUMNS:-$(tput cols)}" '' | tr ' ' "/"  | lolcat
    touch "$TASKFILE" 
fi 

alias tasklist="zsh"
function taskadd() { echo "- $1" >> "$TASKFILE"; } #Example: taskadd "Go grocery shopping"
function taskin() { sed -i "$1i- $2" "$TASKFILE"; } #Insert a task between items
function taskrm() { sed -i "$1d" "$TASKFILE"; } #Example: taskrm 2 --> Removes second item in list
function taskcl() { rm "$TASKFILE"; touch "$TASKFILE"; } #Delete and create a new taskfile

Have fun with funky up the terminal.

:bird:

3 Likes