[aur] Enpass-bin X11 -- wayland issue -- with solution

For users using Enpass and facing the wayland issue.

How to install Enpass-bin (X11 build)

Enpass has two channels: stable, which targets Wayland, and x11.

1. Get the PKGBUILD

yay -G enpass-bin && cd enpass-bin

2. Look up the current x11 version

X11VER=$(curl -s https://apt.enpass.io/dists/x11/main/binary-amd64/Packages \
  | awk '/^Version:/{print $2; exit}')
echo "$X11VER"

3. Edit the PKGBUILD

# switch to the x11 version
sed -i "s|^pkgver=.*|pkgver=$X11VER|; s|^pkgrel=.*|pkgrel=1|" PKGBUILD

# let the extract step handle any .deb compression (gz/xz/zst)
sed -i 's|tar xfz "${srcdir}/data.tar.gz"|tar xf "${srcdir}"/data.tar.*|' PKGBUILD

# fetch the x11 .deb and update the checksum
updpkgsums

Check the result with grep -E '^pkgver|^sha256|tar x' PKGBUILD. The version should match step 2, and the checksum should have changed.

4. Build and install

makepkg -si

# pacman ignore enpass-bin

The stable build has a higher version number, so yay -Syu would otherwise “upgrade” you away from x11. Add this to the [options] section of /etc/pacman.conf:

IgnorePkg = enpass-bin

Updating later

  • Now and then, re-run step 2.
  • If the version has changed, repeat steps 1 to 4.

Interesting.

Been using keepassxc for my personal needs. It also has a plugin for web browser integration and 2FA/TOTP capabilities. :nerd_face:

KeePassXC is a good tool.

Background story…

That said, I’ve been using Enpass for more than 10 years. Back then (around 2017?), KeePassXC frustrated me, and Enpass just worked.

I’ve never connected to the Enpass server or cloud, and I’ve never needed to contact their support. I only use it offline. The only time it asks for anything is during installation, when it asks for an email address to unlock extra features. I just skip that.

The Android version is paid. I don’t use it on Android, because it would need to connect to their servers.

I know Enpass is closed source. But since it runs entirely locally, and I’ve followed reviews of it for several years, I trust the company.

For Android I use Aegis and keep a copy in KeepassXC. If my phone damages or gets stolen I still can use 2FA/TOTP with that backup.

Me too :wink:

Indeed I backup my phone once a month or so. To keep the AEGIS backup save. It would be a disaster to loose it.