"Open containing folder" in Firefox configuration help

English
after updating via terminal, every time I want to open the folder where the downloaded image is using Firefox the media player opens instead of the file explorer, the solution I found is uninstalling the program but when I reinstall it the problem is repeated and I guess it has to do with a file that is downloaded giving VLC the privilege or Smplayer in my particular case on PCManFM and I guess it is related to the image viewer, my knowledge is scarce so I turn to you, thanks

Spanish
luego de actualizar vía terminal , cada vez que quiero abrir la carpeta donde está la imágen descargada usando Firefox se abre el reproductor multimedia en lugar del explorador de archivos , la solución que encontré es desinstalando el programa pero al volver a instalarlo se repite el problema y supongo que tiene que ver con un archivo que se descarga dándole a VLC el privilegio o Smplayer en mi caso particular sobre PCManFM y supongo está relacionado con el visor de imágenes , mi conocimiento es escaso así que recurro a ustedes , gracias

1 Like

To clarify … is this happening when you click on the directory (folder) icon on the right side of the list of downloaded files?

1 Like

Hello/Hola,

Maybe you have left uncompleted downloading processes which combined different types of files (media, text & image files) so when you opened one of them (media for example) you picked your smplayer media as a default application to open… and this changed the right open application logical selection to deal with other file types ( text files and image files). But as the previous process was not completed, every time you access the folder opening icon on the right side of the firefox notification window, it retakes the pending media file process and open up smplayer to manage this file. Well I suggest that you right click ( instead of regular left click) upon the new downloaded file and when the menu opens you pick Go to the folder where it was saved to make a new default selection folder for the new file type you want to check ( this should take you to Downloads folder I hope and not to a different folder, maybe you can reset this latter pick as your default folder once again)

Spanish: Me parece que lo que te sucedio antes es que dejaste un archivo pendiente o durante la descarga pendiente y accediste a abrir en el dialogo de notificacion de firefox que indica el proceso de descarga, pudiste haber ido al icono derecho de abrirlo y bueno siendo un archivo multimedia esto asigno una aplicacion por defecto para abrir tus archivos, en este caso smplayer y quedo asignado como app por defecto para abrir tus descargas en firefox. Lo que sugiero es que cuando descargues otros tipos de archivo o nuevas descargas, en vez de darle un clic izquierdo para abrirlo en directo, optes por poner el cursor encima de la descarga y dar un clic derecho para que te aparezca un menu y de ahi selecciones " Ir a la carpeta en donde esta guardado la descarga"; esto deberia llevarte a la carpeta Descargas/Downloads siempre…quizás modificaste el destino de las descargas o quizas no. Ahora no sabemos si tu usas Mabox instalado en tu sistema o lo ejecutas desde un maquina virtual o desde su imagen ISO, porque esto ultimo no permite un uso estable de Mabox, ya que esta imagen ISO deberia ser instalada en vez de ejecutada porque asi determina correctamente las carpetas de destino ( en tu caso la de Descargas) y tambien las actualizaciones del sistema que siempre corrigen fallos.

I hope this can be some help / espero que esto te sirva de ayuda.

1 Like

that’s correct try to open the folder and the player opens

ya me ha sucedido , lo arreglé reinstalando el sistema operativo y evitando esa configuración , busco la forma de hacerlo si reinstalar , de no encontrar solución voy a reinstalar , así mantengo fresco el procedimiento general . En Manjaro tengo el mismo porblema sólo que quedan minimizadas o se abren pero no pasan al frente

This is strange, trying to reproduce this and I can’t.
can you post output of command:

xdg-mime query default inode/directory

it should be:

pcmanfm.desktop

How did you install Smplayer? Normally from the repository?

at the moment it is not within my reach, as soon as I get there I will do what you ask me to do

Using pacman , in order to install skins and themes , it’s more easy

1 Like

this is what the command shows

xdg-mime query default inode/directory
 org.kde.gwenview.desktop

Screenshot_20220422_005909

Parece que tenias instalado otro escritorio como kde ? junto a Mabox o estoy equivocado ?

Agregaste junto a mabox el escritorio de kde ?

Seems to be that you added a kde desktop environment install to mabox system, right?

Gwenveiw? Why did you install it? :wink:
Just run:

xdg-mime default pcmanfm.desktop inode/directory

no amigo , pero uso alguna de sus aplicaciones , vengo de KDE y me siento cómodo usándolas , como te comenté tuve el mismo problema con manjaro usando kde en esa oprtunidad

for now I have only uninstalled smplayer and gwenview , this has solved the problem ,
when I run xdg-mime query default inode/directory shows pcmanfm.desktop , later I will reinstall them again to observe how and when the problem occurs

2 Likes

I installed gwenview because it has editing tools, it allows me to crop the image, rotate it, mirror it, etc. .