How to acces all new Mabox features?

Originally published at: How to access all new Mabox features? - Mabox Linux notes

Mabox is a rolling-release distribution and as such is updated frequently, this also applies to new Mabox-specific functionalities. Most of them are automatically available right after the update, but some of them require user intervention. In this article, you will learn how to easily access all the new features in Mabox.

Some of the new Mabox functions require changes to user configuration files in order to work. The changes usually concern the configuration of the window manager, keyboard shortcuts, actions assigned to mouse / keyboard events (rc.xml), less frequently autostart or configuration of environment variables (autostart, .bashrc).

With such situations in mind, the mb-reset script was created, allowing the user to make changes to the configuration in a convenient and safe way while maintaining his own customizations.
mb-reset allows you to compare new files with your current configuration using Meld, and to make (or not) any changes one by one.
Example:

mb-reset -c obrcxml

Try it now
After changes logout or run:

openbox --reconfigure

To see all options run:

mb-reset
1 Like

How do I make sure I’ve got all the features therein without a fresh install? I’ve mb-reset / melded everything I can without clobbering my own configs.

Almost all new things comes simply with updates. If you merged rc.xml you should have everything already. rc.xml is for some new key/mouse bindings.
Most of new functionalities you can see and run from Left Sidepanel Ctrl-super-Left(Mabox tools).

Fantastic, thank you. One of the things I have been struggling with is the Super+F1 “Command Palette” functionality. I can’t seem to find that specified in any config file. That command also doesn’t work from the Left Sidepanel. Any ideas?

Please try from terminal:

mbhelper -s

Keybinding for it (rc.xml):

<keybind key="W-F1">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>mbhelper -s</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

You might also try to reinstall:

yay -S mabox-pipemenus

No luck on any of the above. mbhelper -s just exits silently. If I execute without -s, I get

/usr/bin/mbhelper: line 28: [: ==: unary operator expected

I updated my rc.xml and reconfigured openbox after adding the code block above, but still nothing from the W-F1 keystroke.

mabox-pipemenus reinstalled successfully. I tried all of the above again after the reinstall, to no avail. I’m stumped.

With a little more digging I found that mbhelper.csv appears to be missing from both directories below. Not sure how that would have happened.

/usr/share/mabox/lang/en/.config/mabox

$HOME/.config/mabox

yay mabox-i18n-files

should fix this

1 Like

That did it! Apparently I had gotten stuck on an old version somehow, but it wasn’t being flagged for updates.

Package (1)                  Old Version   New Version  Net Change  Download Size

maboxlinux/mabox-i18n-files  2021050333-1  20210607-1     0.02 MiB       0.06 MiB
1 Like